View templates included in the bin download

Jul 29, 2009 at 12:11 AM

Hi,

It appears that if you add these specific partial view templates under a directory called Forum located in the Views folder alone will not get you up and runnins as you may expect. Here are a few things I encountered:

1. Some HTML helpers located in the partial views require that you either add a couple namespaces in the web.config or use the fully qualified name for the ForumViewHelper and any of the Model objects used in the views.
  2. Once you complete the above, your Forum views will render; but you won't see any styles applied. That is because only the partial views (.ascx) gets rendered to the browser when really you should have both the master page content and the partial views rendered to the browser. The way you would have to resolve this is to create the strongly type view pages (.aspx) that matches up to each of the partial views (.ascx) and copy the content to the specific view page.  Maybe in a future release you could include the view templates instead of the partial view templates.

Other than that, I say good job so far. I'm looking forward to the future releases.

Coordinator
Jul 30, 2009 at 3:14 AM

You are absolutly correct about that. Thank you for pointing it out!

Jan 16, 2010 at 9:34 PM

True, but event when I add the namespaces to the web.config, it just stalls at loading the localhost server stops. I have a aspx page that calls Html.RenderPartial("Index"); Do I need a strongly typed view?

Coordinator
Jan 17, 2010 at 3:34 AM

Do you get an error message, or does it just hang indefinitely? Can you post your aspx code?

Coordinator
Jan 17, 2010 at 3:35 AM

Also, there's a sample project included w/ the source code that uses custom views. Are you able to get that project running?