This project is read-only.

How about a WYSIWYG Editor "plugin" model?

Jul 26, 2009 at 2:49 PM

It's nice that the plugin includes the nicEdit editor for a WYSIWYG HTML editor, but it would be really nice if there were a way to use a different editor with the OpenForum plugin if desired. You could implement a simple plugin architecture around the editor textarea that would allow the editor to be easily replaced with some other "custom" editor. This would be really useful for instance if I were using a different editor in other parts of my application, then I could swap out nicEdit with the other editor. This would 1) allow me to keep my application consistent, and 2) this would keep nicEdit from possibly causing javascript conflicts with some other code within the application. Also, this would save each client browser from having to download and cache the javascript files for both nicEdit and the other editor used within the application.

Just a suggestion.

OpenForum looks pretty good so far, and looks to be very promising over time. I can see it being useful to have many different "plugins" for ASP.NET MVC implemented in this fashion. Thanks.

Coordinator
Jul 26, 2009 at 8:30 PM
Edited Jul 26, 2009 at 8:30 PM

Thanks for the feedback. Currently, the best way to address this issue is by providing your own custom views for the “Post” and “Reply” pages and using your own wysiwyg editor there. For a quick overview of this process, you can watch this quick tutorial (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2ZAyVlvSyeU). The current version of OpenForum includes some simple templates for all of the views. Simply grab the “Post” and “Reply” templates and put them in the “Views/Forum” directory of your project. From there it should be pretty straight forward to replace the current nicEdit editor with the editor your application is already using.

Alternatively, you could turn off the nicEdit editor and simply use a textarea for editing. To do this, open the global.asax file. Where you call OpenForumManager.SimpleInitialize, use the overload that takes a Configurations class and pass in an instance of Configuratinos with IncludeWysiwygEditor set to “false”.

Thank you again for the feedback. I really appreciate you taking the time to let me know how I can make OpenForum even better. I will defiantly look into an easier way to implement other 3rd party wysiwyg editors in the future.